Solved

yaimo.com homepage takeover

• 22 August 2014
  • 1 reply

we took a mozilla update that was a fake i didnt have my son's webroot (rev, v.8.0.4.115) installed we do  now.I ran 3 scans and it removed alot and I removed a few programs but  both IE and mozilla when opened go to yaimo.com ?ref=ofertas-brasil as the homepage i have rest the homepage twice with no results . if we type a address in it opens all kinds of windows to download crap. we are runningwin 7 home editionon HP G6 laptop.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 22 August 2014, 19:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi shirl1128

Welcome to the Community Forums.

What you are seeing and describing sounds like you have been victim of what we in the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application.) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

Sounds like you have had a go at getting ride of this pest but that not everything has been dealt with, and this often happens with PUAs...they can be hard to completely remove.

In terms of further information on the usual places you need to look through and check, etc., please refer to this Knowledge Base article, which provides steps to clean out any unwanted software from your system and internet browsers.

And if that does not help then either please come back here to let us know or you can Open a Support Ticket so that the Support Team can assist in eradicating the pest completely.  This is avaialble to you free of charge as a user of WSA.

Hope that helps?

Do let us know how you get on.

Regards

Baldrick