How do you find out what type of threat was quarantined?

• 20 July 2015
  • 4 replies

I had a virus that was quarantined, but am trying to figure out what type of virus it is.  Below is what webroot showed:

c:program files (x86)searchqu toolbardatamngr oolbarsearchqudtx.dll

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

From my research I have found this information below as follows.

Windows Searchqu Toolbar is an ad-supported program installed into Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. The programs collects and stores information about web browsing habits and sends this information to its remote servers in order to provide injected advertising in search results and various other places. It will also modify the browser's home page and search provider. It displays various pop-up advertisements and tracks and reports your web surfing behavior. It displays targeted search results and pop-up advertisements based on terms that the user enters for Web searches. The program also adds its own browser toolbar and installs a browser helper objects (BHO) in Internet Explorer for monitoring Web search terms and implementing the browser toolbar. It also may send event logs and other system-related information to a server, and may automatically download and install updates without notifying the user.

Windows Searchqu Toolbar is an Internet browser toolbar that offers helpful search suggestions as the user types keywords into the search box. Additionally, it catches misspelled words and suggests a search using the correct spelling.Overview
  • Malware detected in the program
  • Automatically starts with Windows
  • Integrates into the web browser
  • Installs a Windows Service
  • Typically distributed through a pay-per-install bundle
  • Injects advertisements unassociated with the underlying web page
  • Hijacks the web browser's home page
  • Hijacks the browser's default search provider
  • The experts agree, you should remove it!
Hope this clarifies your concern?

Kind Regards,
Thank you very much
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @,

You are most welcome!:D

Have a great day!

Regards,
Userlevel 2
OMGosh, I think I did this too! lol I believe this is one that was infecting my laptop back in March.
You really know how to explain these things to make it easy for 'me' to understand.
Thank you for that.