Solved

Is there a way to create a storage folder rather than a sync folder?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
HI, I have WRSA Complete, and I am wanting to create a folder in backup & sync, but I want to use this folder for storing files rather than being in sync with a folder on my pc. Is there a way to do this?
 Thanks, Quick
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 9 August 2014, 20:03

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi quick

Is this what you are looking to do...

http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/625/Removing-a-folder-from-synchronization

or is what is described a close enough substitute?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Baldrick,
Thanks for the quick reply, however your link takes me back to this same page.
Thanks,Quick
Userlevel 7
Apologies quick...trouble copying & pasting on a tablet...try this:

http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/625/Removing-a-folder-from-synchronization

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
This doesn't seem to help. What I really need to do is free up space on a pc with a small HDD, but I don't want to loose the files I'm deleting, I just want to store them at WR since I have allot of extra space there. The obvious solution would be to buy an external HDD, but that's not an option for me at the moment. Either there's not a way to do it, or I've missed something.
Userlevel 7
Well, if the Back up feature is of no use to you then you are correct and WSA cannot help you.  What if you just place what you want manually in the Backup folder, under Webroot Backup & Sync, named for your computer?

I have not tried doing that but will give it a go to see.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I'm not sure if that will work or not, but I'll try to play with it and see what happens. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Well, I save a copy of a file to the folder in the Cloud I mentioned, and then searched the whole of my computer for it and could only find the original/not the copy.  I then deleted the original to see what would happened, and searched again...nothing found. I then copied the file from the Cloud back to my computer.

I will investigate a little further as to the correct way to do this using the built in functionality, but you should check this out too and make certain that it will do what you want it to, and if I find a better way I will post back...unless a more learned user of the functionality can advise.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks a million! I'm playing with it a bit. Don't want to jump in both feet first as I don't want to loose anything.
Cheers, Quick
Userlevel 7
No problem, Quick...thanks for the question...this is prompting me to investigate this area of the product a little more...have always said I would but never seem to have had a reason until now...;)

If I discover anything significant I will post back or PM...if you do then yo do the same...;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Will do. Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Well Ie played with the software all evening and it simply won't work like I need it to. I think the word "back-up" should be removed from the feature all together, as I can't even get the software to do a backup of my pc. All I can manage to do is create syncronized folders. The minute I remove a file from any of these folders then webroot deletes the file from the cloud, so I lose it.
 Another problem I've encountered is when I try to use the backup feature from my web console. When I click on that tab it just says, "This storage folder does not contain any files or folders.", however there's no backup folder on my pc for webroot. My pc has an "Anywhere" folder, but no backup folder. I can create new folders while I'm inside the web console, but they are empty, and there's no way to upload files to these folders I create.
 While in the web console, when I click the tab that is marked, "Add a storage folder", I get the message pasted beneath this post, which suggest I simply use my installed hardware to create more storage folders. It's frustrating though, because there's no way I've found to create any storage folders, all I can do is create more syncronized folders; and I've yet to see any way to use the software to backup my pc.

So you want to use additional storage folders?Use your installed Webroot SecureAnywhere software
  1. to add custom synchronized folders on your computer, or
  2. to enable and run Cloud Backup for your important files.
A custom synchronized folder lets you synchronize files similar to the Anywhere Folder. Cloud Backup provides a convenient way to back up desired files on computers it is executed on.

Used all available storage space on your Keycodes, but still want to store more data in the cloud?No problem.
Either upgrade one of your existing Keycodes to include more storage space, or purchase a new Keycode, and then add this to your account.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well Ie played with the software all evening and it simply won't work like I need it to. I think the word "back-up" should be removed from the feature all together, as I can't even get the software to do a backup of my pc. All I can manage to do is create syncronized folders. The minute I remove a file from any of these folders then webroot deletes the file from the cloud, so I lose it.
 Another problem I've encountered is when I try to use the backup feature from my web console. When I click on that tab it just says, "This storage folder does not contain any files or folders.", however there's no backup folder on my pc for webroot. My pc has an "Anywhere" folder, but no backup folder. I can create new folders while I'm inside the web console, but they are empty, and there's no way to upload files to these folders I create.
 While in the web console, when I click the tab that is marked, "Add a storage folder", I get the message pasted beneath this post, which suggest I simply use my installed hardware to create more storage folders. It's frustrating though, because there's no way I've found to create any storage folders, all I can do is create more syncronized folders; and I've yet to see any way to use the software to backup my pc.

So you want to use additional storage folders?Use your installed Webroot SecureAnywhere software
  1. to add custom synchronized folders on your computer, or
  2. to enable and run Cloud Backup for your important files.
A custom synchronized folder lets you synchronize files similar to the Anywhere Folder. Cloud Backup provides a convenient way to back up desired files on computers it is executed on.

Used all available storage space on your Keycodes, but still want to store more data in the cloud?No problem.
Either upgrade one of your existing Keycodes to include more storage space, or purchase a new Keycode, and then add this to your account.
Thank you for your feedback quick!

Beth
Userlevel 7
Hi quick

That is very starnage as by creating a new folder directly in the Backup folder for your computer shown under 'Webroot Backup & Sync' that is shown under 'My Computer', I do not see the behaviour that you are seeing but that is perhaps because I am not setting up anything via the WSA client.

I will reread you latest post and see if I can duplicate what you are seeing re. the folder that I created manually.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks. Let me know if you get the same results. Maybe something is missing from my pc, or maybe I'm overlooking something. Would be nice to figure this out so I can use it.
Cheers, Quick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm not sure that the feature is going to do what you are asking, which is to store files that you don't want to keep on your computer.  The design is to have a backup of files that are on your computer, in case of disaster.  If you're just wanting online storage then you might want to try something that is designed as an online storage system.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Well WSA advertises "storage", so I assumed I could use the space I paid for as storage.
In case of "disaster"? What if my disaster is deleting a folder I didn't intend to delete. Then I go to webroot to recover the data and they've deleted it too. That would be a disaster for sure.
Or what if my disaster is making changes to data then realizing I shouldn't have made those changes?
There should be a way to turn sync off so I can use the space for storing data. Storage is advertised in the web console, and it's really not "storage".
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well WSA advertises "storage", so I assumed I could use the space I paid for as storage.
In case of "disaster"? What if my disaster is deleting a folder I didn't intend to delete. Then I go to webroot to recover the data and they've deleted it too. That would be a disaster for sure.
Or what if my disaster is making changes to data then realizing I shouldn't have made those changes?
There should be a way to turn sync off so I can use the space for storing data. Storage is advertised in the web console, and it's really not "storage".
It looks like you can actually do what you are asking - my bad :)

This page has the documentation for how to setup a new backup folder - anything backed up in there will stay there even if you deleted it off your computer.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
No problem. I had opened a support ticket yesterday and just now they have responded saying they have fixed issues with my account. I obviously had errors in my account that needed to be addressed by a tech. I just tested it and everything appears to be working now just like I need it to.
 Before when I tried ot create a backup folder in the web console I would get a message telling me to use my insatalled software to create a folder, but the only folders I could create were sync folders. Now I can create backup folders with a simple click and upload files to those folders that will stay there. This was impossible before they made changes to my account.
 Perfect!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Cool, glad to hear you got it resolved!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
No problem. I had opened a support ticket yesterday and just now they have responded saying they have fixed issues with my account. I obviously had errors in my account that needed to be addressed by a tech. I just tested it and everything appears to be working now just like I need it to.
 Before when I tried ot create a backup folder in the web console I would get a message telling me to use my insatalled software to create a folder, but the only folders I could create were sync folders. Now I can create backup folders with a simple click and upload files to those folders that will stay there. This was impossible before they made changes to my account.
 Perfect!
Hi quick

Glad to hear that you managed to get tot he bottom of the issue. From what you are saying I can now understand why it is I could make the functionality work and not you. I am the wiser for it...so thank you.

Regards

Baldrick