Solved

Protected Applications

• 7 January 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
I have had a couple of issues with Identity and privacy. Webroot crashes both my web  browsers. There appears to be problems with protected applications.I have done a support ticket and uploaded log files as requested. I have been advised to set the settings to allow by support. This resolves the crashes but sureley it must compromise security. Are these issues going to be addressed? I have windows 7 Ultimate running Internet Explorer 10 Beta & the latest version of Googer Chrome. The problem occurs on all 3 of my computers.
Stephen
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 10 January 2013, 15:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
I took a peek at your ticket and pointed out a couple of things I noticed that might lead to a more conclusive final analysis of the problem. The support agent working the case should get back to you soon. If this is happening on all three computers, logs should really be collected from all three to correlate similarities. For the one logs were sent in on, it looks like there are some underlying core system instabilities in play. System restores can adversely affect browsers sometimes (you did one on the 22nd), and there are longstanding issues with hard disk errors. We saw them in these logs, and there are notes to indicate that hard disk errors were observed in October as well. This would usually prompt us to suggest running CheckDisk. What is the likelihood of all three computers looking similar in these respects? Probably not very good, though I've seen it happen. Further investigation is merited, so I'd suggest continuing to work with support until a final conclusion can be properly drawn.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
I have redone a check disk scan and it found no errors. I only did a system restore to try to resolve the issues. I have also reinstalled webroot, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. If I allow the protected applications or shut down webroot I than have no problems. 
Userlevel 7
Reinstalling the applications was a good troubleshooting step. In order to figure out why the issues are occurring, support is going to need to look at logs from the three machines. To answer your original question, this is not a a known, widespread issue, and it will require some investigation. Please continue to follow up with support, and they will work with you towards a resolution.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I have similar issues, and reported them today via a support ticket. For info, I am running Win 7 32 bit and the browsers facing problems have been Comodo Dragon (i.e. Chrome), and Comodo Icedragon, i.e. Firefox. They are hardened versions of the original version so there may be some conflict going on. I too have allowed them but I am not fully sure of the security consequences of doing so. An explanation would be appreciated so we can make more informed choices. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello cavehomme and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums and another familiar name from Wilders.

I would suggest to Submit a Support Ticket so that they can gather some logs as it could be a simple thing as whitelisting some of these files.

HTH,

TH