Solved

Shredder option in WSA Complete & Antivirus

• 22 May 2013
  • 5 replies

Hello all Webroot forum members/moderators,

Hey there, I had a few questions about the shredder option in WSA Complete and Antivirus:

1.  In the Complete edition, there is an option to change # of passes so I tried a longer 3 write overwrite but it seemed to shred the files at the same quick speed as the default which seemed strange.  Wondered if I need ed to change another setting?

2.  Will it still be available much longer in the right click drop down menu of just the Antivirus edition?  I looked at the product comparisons and didn't see it listed in the Antivirus so I wasn't sure.

Thank you for your patience and greetings again!

-tookerjeff  🙂
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 22 May 2013, 19:16

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello tookerjeff and welcome to the Webroot Community!

1) Depending on the size of the data being deleted and overwritten, there may not be much of a time difference at all between a single pass and a triple pass.  If you were "shredding" an amount in the range of 1GB I would expect to see a 3 pass take a bit longer, but for smaller files it is probably normal to be no a noticeable difference.

2) Good question!  I believe there was some discussion regarding this a few months ago, but I am not able to locate the thread.  Mods: is there any information on this?  🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello tookerjeff and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! Another member I know from Wilders so and extra Welcome goes out to you! ;)

To Quote from the Online Help File:

"If you want to make sure files can never be recovered, move the slider to Medium or Maximum. Medium overwrites files with three passes, whereas Maximum overwrites files with seven passes and cleans the space around the files. Also be aware that cleanup operations take longer when you move the slider to Medium or Maximum."

Cheers,

Daniel
Hi DavidP and TripleHelix

Thank you both for the info. and greetings to both of you too! 🙂 Interestingly, I was trying out both SlimCleaner and Eraser's shredding options at the same level and they are much slower, so that is another reason I found it a little odd that Webroot was super quick even at the higher settings (unless it is shredding an unzipped folder of.jpgs or something and then it will slow down, but only somehwat)

TripleHelix--ah, you caught me 😉 yup, also from Wilders and I really enjoy reading and learning from your posts over there too! Good memory 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi DavidP and TripleHelix

Thank you both for the info. and greetings to both of you too! 🙂 Interestingly, I was trying out both SlimCleaner and Eraser's shredding options at the same level and they are much slower, so that is another reason I found it a little odd that Webroot was super quick even at the higher settings (unless it is shredding an unzipped folder of.jpgs or something and then it will slow down, but only somehwat)

TripleHelix--ah, you caught me 😉 yup, also from Wilders and I really enjoy reading and learning from your posts over there too! Good memory :)
Great to have you here pull up a chair and stay for awhile and enjoy!

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hello tookerjeff, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃