Washing hard drive

• 19 November 2013
  • 3 replies

I have just changed over from using Window Washer to Secure Anywhere. One of the functions I used on Window Washer was washing free space which would take 2 to 3 hours to complete. When I now run System Optimizer on Secure Anywhere the process takes no more than a few minutes. I had understood that System Optimizer included the washing of free space but find it difficult to beieve it is happening in so short a time.

Is free space being washed by System Optimizer or have I misunderstood and that it is no longer a function that is available?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello drailton and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

It's true System Optimizer does not clean free space you can download a utility called CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds as it will wipe free space the reasoning is that more computers are coming out with Solid State Drives and you don't need to wipe them as it could wear them out faster but it's fine on regular Hard Drives.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Thanks for your reply, Daniel.
I have CCCleaner but did not know that it had this facility. I have just checked the settings and I find that it is set to wash free space. Again, it must be doing this in the minute or two it takes to run the CC clean facilty compared with the hours it took with Window Washer!
David
Userlevel 7
CCleaner is a very good and effective complement to Webroot's System Optimizer;)

Regards,

Mike