Solved

Webroot and Download error

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
WSAC all of a sudden is causing an error to my downloads
with an error message
" An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions"
Downloads works fine when I shutdown protection.

How to deal with it?
icon

Best answer by singularity 27 April 2013, 23:10

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello dtouch, welcome back!

Take a look at your Firewall settings.  Click PC Security tab at the top, then Firewall.

Which option is it set for?  I believe the default is the second option, "Warn if any new, untrusted processes connect to the internet if the computer is infected".  If you have it set for a different setting, such as the bottom one that will block unless specifically allowed, you may want to change it back to the default.

Look toward the bottom and click "View Network Applications"

In here, check to make sure that the program is listed as allowed.  If it is set for Block, you will need to change that to Allow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Running windows 8 and firewall settings are disabled in wsac by default..
No updates to sort this issue yet?
Userlevel 7
If the firewall is turned off, and you still have the problem, a Trouble Ticket might be a good idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@dtouch wrote:
Running windows 8 and firewall settings are disabled in wsac by default..
No updates to sort this issue yet?
Hello dtouch the firewall is not disabled it just works differently on Windows 8.

To Quote @

``This is by design on Windows 8 as the firewall controls are somewhat limited by the OS. We'll be extending this further but the OS does a very good job at firewall by itself.`` and ``WSA's protection abilities are just as strong as they are on other OSs - it is the custom management of individual applications which is different in this case, a technical feature which isn't required (and the OS duplicates the same functionality).`` HTH, TH Is this what you are seeing? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
I know that it is not turned off.. but custom settings for apps cant be done right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@dtouch wrote:
I know that it is not turned off.. but custom settings for apps cant be done right?
Right as I posted above and I have not heard anymore info at this time maybe a Webroot rep can add more info.

TH
Userlevel 7
It's the first I've heard of this error, so it will be best to go through Support to best facilitate log collection and analysis. Hopefully we'll get this worked out for you in short order.

Are you running any sort of non-standard network configuration? The only other time I've ever seen the error in question did not involve Webroot but did involve a VPN connection and a remote access session if I recall properly. That was prior to my days at Webroot though.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
This was working fine... till wsac got updated to latest version...
Now it downloads fine when i turn firewall off..
Userlevel 7
Right, we understand that. I'm just trying to help get to the bottom of it, which would require a better understanding of your networking setup. Logs would be optimal towards that end though.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Where can I get logs? Should I post here?
Userlevel 7
Please open a support case, and support will provide instructions.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Ok I will do that. Thank you!