Solved

Webroot browser filtering/extensions question

• 14 January 2015
  • 3 replies

I'm new to Webroot after coming over from using Avast the last 5 years or so. My inquiring mind needs to know more about the browser filtering/extensions Webroot uses for IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox but are not provided for Opera automatically.
I believe Avast and I know for sure ESET do not require browser plugins/filtering as they scan HTTP/HTTPS traffic without them or natively (if that is the correct term).
If I use Opera without having the Webroot browser filtering in place am I protected by Webroot at some level?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 14 January 2015, 02:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

You are correct but if you are using the Chrome based version of Opera some have got it to work as well in Palemoon: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Unofficial-Webroot-filtering-extension-in-Palemoon-Unofficial/ta-p/142217 see the pictures and try with the Chrome based Opera. If it doesn't work yes WSA will protect you from malware trying to drop on to your systen with it's Realtime Shield. Also make sure your browsers under protect here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Thanks for the prompt reply and info TripleHelix.
I checked the settings in my Webroot installation as you advised and it shows Opera as being protected. Don't have to be wondering about it when I use Opera.

Shouldn't  Webroot be supporting the Opera browser with automatic installation/updates with the filtering system as done with IE, Firefox and Chrome? Isn't Opera used enough, popular enough to warrant it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
They only support IE, Firefox and Chrome Officially with the Web Filter but as I said if your using the Chrome Based Opera you can try to get the Extension to install by draging that file into the open Opera Browser. And Identity Sheild you can add any web facing apps to the list by clicking on add button and find the main .EXE from the Program.

Daniel ;)