Solved

Webroot disables webcam functions :(

• 30 March 2013
  • 6 replies

Basically I know my webcam works, and I am know I am connected to the internet. However, whenever I try to use Skype or Gmail to video chat people,  the other person can see and hear me me.... but I can't see myself or the other person at all, I can just hear them. The other end shows both sides, though.

I know it is Webroot that is blocking this from working correctly so any advice? I don't want to have to deactivate my protection entirely when Skyping or Gmail video chatting. Is there just like one tiny function I can disable or a patch to fix this? It's really soooo incredibly annoying and I'm considering just uninstalling the program and buying a new one entirely...

Thanks. Looking forward to prompt and helpful responses.
icon

Best answer by JimM 3 April 2013, 01:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Fariae13 and welcome to the Community.

It might be something that you can fix by checking the Firewall settings.  Open the WSA program, and click PC Security tab at the top, and then choose Firewall on the left hand side.  At the bottom is View Network Settings.  Go over the list and check to make sure that the Skype and Gmail are not listed as being blocked.

More likely though, I think you will need to Submit a Trouble Ticket  Be patient with this, being a holiday weekend it may well be Monday before support will be able to respond.
Userlevel 7
Hi fariae13

Please open SecureAnywhere, click Identity & Privacy, click View/Edit Protected Applications, see if any of the programs in the list are being blocked (if they are, see if they are associated to your video sharing program and set them to Allow). If none of the programs are being blocked, please Open a Support Ticket for technician assistance.
Userlevel 7
Hello fariae13, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
In the short term, disabling the Identity Shield prior to establishing the connection and then re-enabling it once the connection is established is the temporary workaround. We will look into this issue further, but the last report we had of this occurring was in version 8.0.2.96, which was quite a while back. When was the last time you experienced this problem?
It was maybe a few weeks ago... But I definitely have the most updated version and have it set to download updates automatically... it seems really inconvenient that I'll have to disable my protection to Skype people... this is a huge problem you guys should probably fix. I've heard now this is the only antivirus software stuff that does this from the people at BestBuy where I bought it from...
Userlevel 7
If it was a few weeks ago you last experienced the issue, that comports well with what we believed about the issue having been fixed already. You shouldn't need to disable the shield at all now, even if only for a few moments. Please let us know if the issue occurs again.