is Webroot turning off my internet when I try to use a VPN or is the VPN causing the trouble?

• 23 September 2016
  • 3 replies

I just purchased a VPN but when I use it the internet gets switched off. Is that the VPN or is it Webroot? What do I do about it?

I just restarted the computer three times and each time the internet went straight off as soon as I started the VPN.

Thanks for reading.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi bearbrain

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would try disabling WSA temporarily and trying to connect again. If you can connect with WSA disbaled then it is looking like it is WSA but if not then it could well be your VPN.

To disable WSA right click on the notificaiton tray icon and select 'Shutdown protection', following the on screen instructions. provided.

Just do not forget to reenable WSA by eithe double clicking on the Desktop icon or rebooting.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks Baldrick. Just now I checked Webroot further and it said I should scan as there were threats. When I did that it said the VPN was a threat but offered the option to allow, which I took. So I hope it will all go smoothly now.

I wasn't aware that VPN's themselves were a threat so I feel pretty alarmed at your message re Express VPN. If you don't know much, technically, it is not easy to know how to be safe. Everyone says their product is safe and it appears that reviews are often sponsored by interested parties.

I hope I'm doing the right things! I spent a long time to research Webroot as I was disatisfied with my previous product.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Userlevel 7
No worries, bearbrain, always happy to try to help as and when I can/am able.

Regards, Baldrick