Solved

urgent google chrome update keeps appearing on my screen. Takes up the entire screen. What is this?

• 21 August 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I keep getting a pop up that takes up the entire scree with the google chrome circle that reads URGENT CHROME UPDATE - UPDATE NOW 

What is this? Is it legit? I do use google chrome but not sure if I should click on it. Webroot scans show I have no threats.

What do I do? 

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 21 August 2016, 20:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi baitnhooklure

I would say that this is a SCAM, as I have never heard of or seen Chrome behave like that. DO NOT click on anything related to that popup.

And if you can get access to the Chrome Settings menu I would ASAP install a good Ad/Pop-up Blocker! For Chrome many of us use and recommend:

uBlock Origin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en or Privacy Badger: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Thank you:) I clicked the first link and added Ublock to Chrome. I appreciate it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Works Great!! No more third party pop up ads when I am on my email home page and other sites. Also, I like the Ublocker icon in the upper right hand corner. I can click on this and see the third party sites that were blocked on the site currently on. Glad I asked the community and appreciate your timely reply Baldrick.

The lesson I learned is don't click on popups and ask Webroot community for help. Last year before Windows 10 included a media player I downloaded a free download for media player and the icon looked like a traffic cone. Soon thereafter my email address got hacked and also my bank account was jeopordized. Lesson learned - don't download free software like this. Thanks again for your support.
Userlevel 7
Hi baitnhooklure

You are most welcome...glad that has resolved the issue for you. :D

Sounds like you download the VLC Player...which actually is a legit app and which I use with no issue. If I may give you a tip? Always make sure that you download apps from the author's website or from a site they recommend and never from 3rd party download sites as many a a haven for piggy back software and malicious apps.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
You are right! I remember goggling that VLC Player and a bunch of websites appeared. I clicked the incorrect one. I'll never do that again. Soon thereafter I uninstalled it however the damage was already done. Thanks again for your help:)
Userlevel 7
Hi baitnhooklure

As I said before, yo are more than welcome.

We have all been there at some point...but that in a way is how one learns. ;)

Take care out there.

Regards, Baldrick