Webroot Secure Erase for Solid State Drive (SSD)

• 11 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8
When I right click on a file I see the Webroot Secure Erase option.  I see I can setup Webroot to run multiple overwrite passes to more thoroughly wipe (bleach) the data.

Isn't it true that only 1 pass would ever be needed for a solid state drive (SSD)?
I have heard that there are only n times you can write to s SSD before it fails (much lower than a conventional spinning magnetic drive).  If so, then I don't want to over do it.

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Claveman

It is my understanding that you are correct; to make the wiping more secure one has to increase the number of passes of overwriting the empty space. Only 1 pass will be as per on an HDD; not as secure as 3 or 7 or more.

The more passes you use the more writes one does to the SSD & SSDs do have a limited number of write cycles in their life span. This would usually last for years of normal use but using a disk 'wipe', performs a write cycle on each block of the SSD per pass. Using this, especially frequently can drastically reduce the life span of your SSD, so do not use the feature unless you absolutely have to.

@ you have a goodly deal of experience with SSDs. :D Would you be able to add anything on this subject?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sounds good to me! LOL
Userlevel 7
Cheers, Daniel...much obliged for the response. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Claveman

It is my understanding that you are correct; to make the wiping more secure one has to increase the number of passes of overwriting the empty space. Only 1 pass will be as per on an HDD; not as secure as 3 or 7 or more.

The more passes you use the more writes one does to the SSD & SSDs do have a limited number of write cycles in their life span. This would usually last for years of normal use but using a disk 'wipe', performs a write cycle on each block of the SSD per pass. Using this, especially frequently can drastically reduce the life span of your SSD, so do not use the feature unless you absolutely have to.

@ you have a goodly deal of experience with SSDs. :D Would you be able to add anything on this subject?

Regards, Baldrick
 Good to know....I will never use this feature, then.  I want to prolong the life of my SSD in my Surface Book.  It would be an expensive proposition if I ever needed to replace the SSD.   
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
This article on the Kingston web site is interesting regarding the secure erasing of SSDs: -http://www.kingston.com/en/community/articledetail?ArticleId=10
Userlevel 7
Hi Sheltieuk

I think that you misunderstand the OP...the requirement is to securely erase just what has been deleted rather than erasing the entire SSD. What the article seems to cover is the complete erasure...and even in tnat case I would not want to do that too often.

Regards, Baldrick