When I look at my active connections on my PC, what does the status "listening" mean?

• 2 August 2015
  • 1 reply

I would like to know if Internet Security Plus is capable of detecting when my PC has been remotely accessed. The reason I ask is that I was recently informed by both Verizon and HP that my computer hoe network, server, and my PC had been hacked. I was told that the technical level of the hacking is beyond what they are capable of dealing with. The information that I am working on is very valuable to certain people (re custody litigation), and I want to be as safe as possible, and am wondering if my webroot internet protection software has some tricks up its sleave, so to speak, that I could learn to use to my benefit. Last question is just that I am wondering what "listening" means for the status of active connections. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Re-tard

Welcome to the Community Forums.

To answer the question in your subject line; when a program is running on a computer that uses TCP and waits for another computer to connect to it, it is said to be 'listening' for connections. It does this by attaching itself to a port on the computer and then waits for the connection.  If and when it finally connects to a remote computer or a remote computer connects to the port it is listening on then it is deemed to have 'established' a connection.

As far as the "wondering if my webroot internet protection software has some tricks up its sleave," part of your post is concerned...WSA has many Shields and features to protect you including an intelligent outbound Firewall monitoring connections out from your system (WSA uses the built in Windows Firewall to handle the inbound connections...something it is very good at) and you can adjust the level of sensitivity of what WSA will report to yo in terms of files/apps attempting to connect out from your system.

WSA also protects your identity and you from hacking via its Identity Shield and there again you can simply nominate applications that handle sensitive data (some of the usual ones like the major browsers are covered by default) and again adjust the level of protection given by the Shield.

I hope something in the above rambling reply helps, but if you have further questions please post back.

Regards, Baldrick