Webroot causing software to hang in Windows 7

• 13 January 2017
  • 74 replies

Show first post

74 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I advised them of the dial code (+44) and my phone number, although not being in the habit of dialling the UK from the US I wasn't sure what the exact dialling format would be.  I'd rather hoped they could handle that bit without my help.....Perhaps that's the problem because I've not heard a peep since, either by phone or in my support ticket.

How times change.....Eh?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Maybe indeed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Despite their claims to the contrary WEBROOT have made NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER to address this problem.

To date I've been fobbed off and had my time wasted with incorrect phone numbers.....Utterly pathetic! 

So much for your great customer support.....It's been uterly useless, the left hand and right hand have apparently never even met, let alone know what each other are doing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I wouldn't wait on them to call you, keep trying their local phone number until you make contact, then ask to be put through to tech support.....My issue was dealt with while I waited, it took an hour or two all told, but AFAIK the call was free (it had better be).
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
The last time I had a support ticket I still had to phone you, I got through by calling sales and then not selecting a category from the menu, your UK tech-support line was not answered, ever.

And I now understand, you charged me for that call!

So tell you what.....You call me tomorrow, after ten, when I've had a nice cuppa, because right now I'm not feeling terribly inclined to chat about it.

While you are about it you can write a compensatory cheque and send it to my listed address....I've been a customer for over a decade, so I know you have it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Cheers Muddy, you are quite right, that's exactly what they've done (whitelisted everything marked Battlefront in my previous logs).....Which only goes to show that they don't pay much attention as I quite clearly stated that this problem is with NEWLY INSTALLED SOFTWARE from Battlefront that was NOT INSTALLED at the time those logs were generated.

I'm making some enquiries on the Battlefront forums, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing the issue, there are threads dating back to at least 2014, detailing problems similar to my own.  Battlefront advise disabling Webroot while their products install.

Checked my subscription details, I've been on PrevX/Webroot since 2009, the hassles all started in the last couple of years, so what changed?  Who ruined the best AV software in the world?

PS - Totally agree that wall to wall whitelisting is not a solution.....It's a cop out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
That's kind of what I meant TBH.....Presumably it should at least reduce the number of issues occurring for other users?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
New Combat Missions update, new (& identical) problem with Webroot.....It never bloody ends!

Support ticket opened and I've asked them to diagnose the problem, not just blanket whitelist the files.....I await a response, but I'm not holding my breath. 

I'm also not going through this hassle every time a game updates.....This idiot company has completely destroyed my confidence in their own product.

Please would you also remove the word 'solved' from the tilte of this thread, you have not even approached solving the problem with your cop-out efforts to date, as my constant need to return to this thread clearly demonstrates!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thank you once again Muddy for summing my position up so accurately, it is just as you describe.

Frankly the only thing I want from Webroot is quality software that does its job WITHOUT interfering with my normal use of my computer.....ie: Gaming. 

PrevX provided me with that for the best part of a decade, Webroot got involved and.....Well here I am, again.

Let me make this 100% clear.....I don't care one whit about the technical particulars of the problem, I just want it to go away, permanently.

I note with some disappointment that the inappropriate 'Solved' remains appended to the title of this thread.....Kindly remove it.

PS - I'm fairly confident that Steve & the lads at Battlefront don't have designs on taking over the world via their games software.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
In the absence of any reply from officialdom, I thought I'd have a poke about, I started Combat Missions: Fortress Italy (henceforth CM:FI, the latest problem game) and opened the Webroot control panel.

CM:FI.exe was showing as a 'Monitored' process, so I changed the setting to 'Allowed' and closed the control panel.  I then exited CM:FI.  Webroot locked my system up and I had to hit the power switch, again.

I'm using a brand new hard-drive, it's been suffering damage non-stop since it was installed, singly and exclusively because of Webroot, no exceptions, Webroot and Webroot only.

So Webroot defenders, pray tell me.....Which bit of this is good, satisfactory, or even acceptable?

I am advised that Avast offers a service similar to that formerly provided by PrevX, so perhaps I should explore their forums and products instead?
Thanks, @

Did he bring to Support's attention back in January that his OS was crashing/hanging when he exited Battlefront whilst Webroot was monitoring updated Battlefront files—as you yourself had emphasised he should do? And that this behaviour did not happen when Webroot was disabled?

Was Support able to see evidence for this in the logs he sent them with the log-gathering utility at that time (Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post that I was referring to the log-gathering results he sent back then in January)?

If so, what were they able to do to resolve this situation?

And ditto for his most recent communication with Support.

Sorry, questions questions questions 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Yes I told them @ Blanket whitelisting is not a solution, it's a temporary fix and it means we'll be here again soon. 

Please Webroot, will you actually go to some effort to resolve the problem or I am going to be contacting you about half-a-dozen times a year minimum.....Waste of your time and mine. 

Not to mention the fact that this is knackering my hardware!

Round & round & round we go!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Received a reply from tech support.....Not one that had any basis in reality though. 

They gave me a whole bunch of advice on how to solve problems I was never seeing and then told me that if the problem reoccurs (which of course it will, regularly) to report it so they can blanket whitelist everything again.  I don't think they have a clue why this is happening, nor do they care as far as I can tell.

Brilliant.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Possible signs of progress.....Will report back.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Nope.....In the end they just repeated the same formula as last time, whitelist the files and reinstall Webroot to make sure.

The problem went away with that game (Combat Mission Fortress Italy), only temporarily of course, but I haven't got round to doing the reinstall yet as I've been rather busy with real world things.

Now to add to my joys another Battlefront game (Combat Mission Black Sea) has been updated, so naturally that one is hanging my system on exit instead.

Despite my efforts, Webroot just don't seem to be listening.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
This is tech support's brilliant reply:

Removed by Moderator

Apparently they have forgotten what country I am in and are unaware that their customer support line is NOT free in the UK.

The level of incompetence displayed here is simply astounding!

I have given them my phone number and even provided the dialling code, last time that combination proved far too complex for them to put together, let's see if they've improved any.

Frankly I'm not optimistic.

More game updates are imminent and I've just about had enough, I've posted in several threads at Battlefront warning against Webroot and have received many recommendations for Avast.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Any chance of getting some files whitelisted in the mean-time, I'd quite like to actually play my games and at present Battlefront are updating them faster than you are problem-solving.....Another update is already imminent.

I am very disappointed to see my post above edited, frankly they are your tech team and you should take responsibility for their output.....I've been pretty damned patient so far, but it's wearing very, very thin indeed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Well it took a very long time (Battlefront had a bit of a lull in productivity for various reasons), but a new Combat Missions game finally came out and, to my great disappointment, the same problem with Webroot has returned.

If Webroot is active when I exit the game my system hangs irrecoverably, requiring a hard shutdown with the power button.....If Webroot is not running everything behaves normally.

I've reported this in my (multi-year) support ticket, but have not received a reply.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
So, once again Webroot appear to think whitelisting is a fix, but then the game patched, so the problem instantly returned, exactly as predicted.....How long do we have to keep going on with this? 

F**k me I've been more than patient!

Absolutuly rubbish.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
With all due respect, it's rather more serious than that.....Webroot is configured to ignore these games, but it is still causing a total lockup of my system on exit, requiring me to hold the power button down to recover the computer. 

Let me make this absolutely crystal clear for you.....That is quite simply not an acceptable definition of 'Monitoring Processes'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Of course I've opened a bloody ticket.....The same issue has been on going for nearly two years!

That's why I'm so annoyed, they keep providing a temporary fix, then a new game or module or patch comes out and the exact same problem recurs every time.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
So 'Stop using Webroot' is the Webroot communities' recommended fix for my issue.....That's absolutely priceless!
Userlevel 3
Badge

I HAVE WINDOWS 10 & GAME APP STEAM. I have appox 40 games that had been downloaded from steam. Now I'm only allowed 1 game to download & play. I'm a single player. When trying to download 1 of my games or downloaded a new game, a message appears stating I don't have enough space on drive c to complete download. I have 2 usb drives connected to a 3 year old HP gaming desktop, with 3 & 4 tbs. How can I switch from drive c to let's say drive c to have more storage space for my STEAM games. Also how do I get drive x to work with steam games and play?