Solved

Webroot + Chrome (sigh)

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Zeusius

Many thanks for the feedback...it is all useful, and as you say some solution may work in some cases for some users awhilst not for others so having a number of alternatives that are know to have worked is always useful.

Much appreciated. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
I have received an email back from support now and they told me to change chrome from protect to allow and that has fixed the issue. I didn't need to move chrome and left it where it was and all is working now even with the identity shield enabled which was the original fix that I found.

This however may not be the same for everybody but is definitely worth a try rather than moving chrome around. Certainly an easier option. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi RustyNutz

Thanks for the further info...so looks like what Petrovic suggested was correct re. this and so well worth remembering.

Glad that it is sorted for you.  If you did submit a Support Ticket it would be a good idea to update it with this information so that Support know that you are sorted and also what it was that resolved the issue for you, and so save them some wasted effort.

@ if yo have not already yo may like to check out what RustyNutz found and carry out a uninstall/reinstall of Chrome so that it resides in either C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86)...depending on whether you are running 64bit or 32bit WIndows respectively (as suggested earlier by Petrovic).  Worth a try.

Cheers

Baldrick
It's currently installed in ...C:Program Files (x86)Google...and as I stated above, is now working fine...
Userlevel 7
Ah ha, RustyNutz...a result.  That is good news.

I would say that I tend to agree with Dermot as to a possible cause...but out of interest did Chrome install in the same place as it was before.  Reason; given what Petrovic stated about installs in non C:\Program Files or C:\ Program Files (x86) paths, and possible issue as a result.  Would be good to confirm that going forward...if possible.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
FWIW my guess on why some, apparently relatively low numbers of users, are experiencing some issues like these, is due to the silent, background auto-updating of Chrome to regular, new versions, with possibly differing .dll file versions etc.

i don't use Chrome myself, but if I did I'd be experimenting, for example, with disabling silent, auto-updating of Chrome for a few weeks,

Turning off identity shield solved the problem. I figured I would uninstall/Install Chrome again, to see if it changed anything. Chrome now works with Identity Shield on, strange....
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good one @ as I have seen these issues many times and it should be installed in C:Program FilesGoogle or if 64bit C:Program Files (x86)Google

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Have you tried to install chrome in c: Program Files?
Now it is set in ?:users appdata...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great please let us know your outcome as well as it can help other users and we can compare notes with Zeusius!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Daniel wrote: 
Also to find the version of WSA: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C12_MyAccount/CH11a_ViewingAccount.ht.. Thanks.  As I said I knew where to find the version of Chrome.  But in both cases, the traditional Help/About would have been so much more user-friendly.    All the programs I write have both a Help/About and little mouseover pop-up boxes linked to everything that can possibly be clicked to explain what clicking them does and why you might want to click them.

I've now raised a support ticket.

Caravelle
@ wrote:
You didn't try to reinstall chrome?
Yeah I tried that yesterday but to no avail. It is definitely a problem with Webroot. It's just odd how it started all of a sudden and also to my brothers pc on the same day but some people are reporting they have no problems. Very odd

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks.  I can certainly explain what I do and see on my PC and what I have done in clear terms.

I was not aware that the extension thing referred to in this thread is something you find in Chrome, not in Webroot.  And the program version presumably therefore refers to the version of Chrome, which I do know how to find.  I simply disabled the identity protection setting in Webroot itself.

Caravelle

Also to find the version of WSA: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C12_MyAccount/CH11a_ViewingAccount.htm

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
You didn't try to reinstall chrome?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
The reinstall was worth a try as it usually fixes most things, I was simply stating my findings and not trying to be ungrateful. Sorry if it came across that way. When I hear back from support I will let the forum know of my findings.
Never we just try a few things and the Support Inbox is the last suggestion!

Cheers,

Daniel  😉
The reinstall was worth a try as it usually fixes most things, I was simply stating my findings and not trying to be ungrateful. Sorry if it came across that way. When I hear back from support I will let the forum know of my findings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks.  I can certainly explain what I do and see on my PC and what I have done in clear terms.

I was not aware that the extension thing referred to in this thread is something you find in Chrome, not in Webroot.  And the program version presumably therefore refers to the version of Chrome, which I do know how to find.  I simply disabled the identity protection setting in Webroot itself.

Caravelle

Here you go:

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks sorry the reinstall didn't work and the Support Inbox would be the next step so please let us know the outcome as it could help others. Like I said it's working fine here.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 1

Caravelle

Disabling the Webroot Filtering Extension did nothing for me. I have since uninstalled Webroot and Re-Installed it but this did nothing and it is still causing problems with chrome. So as of now I have got identity shield disabled and have created a support ticket. So we will see what happens.
Userlevel 7
Hi Caravelle

I know that it can be a little difficult sometimes when reporting issues but best bet is to just explain the issue and what you have done in your own terms and then Support will query anything that they do not understand.

In terms of the Webroot Filtering Extension you can disable it/find the information required by clicking on the three horizontal lines icon just under the 'X' in the top righthand corner of the browser.  From the context menu displayed navigate and hover over the 'Tools' entry and that should open up a further context menu on which you click on the Extensions entry to open the browser page showing all your Chrome extensions.

Towards the bottom of the list you should see the two Webroot-related extensions, and next the the Web Filtering one you should see the version no. (in the format v1.2.3.45) and to the right of that is a check box to enable/disable the extension itself.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 1
What did I start ? :catwink:

I tried disabling Identity Shield, and Chrome is now back to normal.  I re-enabled it, Chrome went back to sleep.  I re-disabled it Chrome woke up again. However, I do not know how to report the information requested.   I see things like "can you tell me what version you are using?"   Where does it say what version of Webroot one is using ?  There is no Help/About that I can see, Webroot is one of these new-fangled programs which expects you to be psychic (rather like Android apps in that respect).  Help just takes you to an online guide (not much use if your browser isn't working !). And as for "note the version of the Filtering extension that you now have disabled", where is that information hidden please ?

Thanks

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA? Download a Copy Here and make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall WSA and Reboot and install with the new installer let it finish it's install scan then Reboot once again and please let us know if that corrects your issue also don't import any settings just set it up the way you like after!

Thanks,

Daniel
I have looked and it says there are 8 instances of chrome running and they are set to allow.

Also the version of chrome that I am using is:

33.0.1750.154 m
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you look here when Chrome is running to see if it's being Monitored? http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C10_SystemControl/CH10b_ControllingProcesses.htm also can you tell me what version you are using and if you are using the Developers versions?

This is my version:

Thanks,

Daniel